Friday, December 7, 2012

Reflections: Getting Back

        Getting Back
      Wow! I can not believe May was the last time I posted. It seems like just yesterday. Time definitely flies as we get older, have families, jobs, commitments, etc. and so it's important to remember how crucial it is to take care of ourselves so that we may be able to care for others. Many of you may know that I recently lost someone very near and dear to my heart and I know all too well how we can fall into bad habits and back into old ones! Sometimes we don't realize just how long we have been in a funk until the clouds have parted. I have vowed to myself, my family and in the memory of my dear grandmother to make sure I get back on track and stay there. To live a healthy life so that I may be here with my family and children as long as possible! Will I trip and "fall off" from time to time? Sure! Who doesn't? The important thing is to remember to get back up and forge on. Without guilt.
        I will continue to post great family-friendly healthy recipes, info on exercise and well-being. Our mental health, spiritual balance and outlook on life are just as vital to our overall health as is great nutrition and exercise! I'll post updates about my journey to "get back on track" as well as encourage you on your own journey to healthy living. My mind has been overwhelmed and clouded with the death of my grandmother. I've been tired. I've been stressed and worst of all have had the "I don't really care attitude." My diet has consisted of the not-so-good for you, from fried foods to over-indulging in alcohol. Although I am a firm believer that no one should have to give up something forever, moderation is the KEY! Not to mention these holiday seasons are jam-packed with holiday events, parties, food and more. It's all too easy to sideline our exercise routines and let eating habits get out of control! It's even easier to fall into a negative mindset when we are hit with life changing events but these are the EXACT moments when we need exercise, a healthy diet, and a healthy mind the most! So before it gets out of control, before it gets "too far gone", before I set myself way back, I'm making the conscience effort to take those feelings and use them as fuel. To use them as a reminder that I HAVE the choice and I HAVE the power, to make each day count! I hope that in sharing this with all of you, it may help you find the fuel and desire to stay on track with whatever that may be in your life.
        So stay tuned! I'm so excited to continue sharing my passion for great healthy food and great exercise with you! To kick-start it off, I want to share with you a recipe for a detoxifying blend of healthy fats and antioxidants that will help jump-start your year! I am literally finishing one as I type and it's delish!


Key Lime Pie Shake
1/2 avocado
juice of 1 lime
2 tsp lime zest
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
1 c plain unsweetened almond milk
1-2 packets Stevia (optional)


Place all ingredients in a blender and process thoroughly.

It's only 350 calories. It's that easy. The fiber and fat content will help keep you full longer. The omega-3's help to nourish hair, skin and nails from the inside out! So drink up and drink to your health!



FUN FACT: Avocados are one of the richest sources of Glutathione, which is a powerful antioxidant, immunity booster and detoxifier that helps repair cell damage caused by stress and pollution.


Excited to get a jump-start on 2013! And as always, let me know your thoughts and questions!

Happy Healthy Eating,
Nicole


No comments:

Post a Comment