Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Fitness Edition: Overtraining

   So my blog is titled Foodie AND Fitness fun yet I know everything so far is pretty much on the foodie side, so I thought it was due time that I write about fitness!

    For many of you, who workout regularly or extremely hard, there comes a point when we sometimes hit a wall. We get sluggish. We get tired of working out. We can't sleep all of a sudden. We can't push as hard in our workouts. We don't know what has suddenly happened to our bodies. Well, this is what had happened to me in recent months which left me not so gun-ho about writing much on fitness. I had simply "lost that love and feeling," I had burned out! Overtraining can happen. I thought it couldn't possibly happen to me but it did!


    It is crucial to make sure that you give your body ample time to rest and recover between workouts. This is the time when your body repairs muscle tissue and heals itself so that it can function at full capacity. Allowing yourself to get a full night's rest will aide in reducing stress and help your muscles to repair themselves from strenuous workouts.
    Consuming too few calories is another sure fire way to hit burnout even quicker. When you steal those important nutrients from your body, it is even harder for the body to repair muscle tissue and to function properly. This can potentially lead to breaking down the tissue instead of building it up which leads directly to injuries. Make sure you are staying well hydrated too!!

    Sometimes the best medicine is the simplest yet the hardest for some of us who love to exercise. Simply, rest! Listen to your body people!!! If you will allow yourself the time off from training, it can work wonders. I felt such guilt when I wouldn't make it to the gym. I had to finally allow myself the time off and to allow my body the rest it was craving. I simply hit the gym and the weights too hard too often and found myself in a slump. I HATED the fact that I was starting to recent my workouts. I wasn't looking forward to them anymore. I was tired and sluggish. By listening to my body and by feeding it the right nutrients several times a day (that's a whole other blog in itself) I was able to allow my body to recover. I ate right to compensate for days off from exercise and I found myself again. Rejuvenated. Ready to get back to it again, with all the drive and passion I had once had.
    So if any of you find yourself sliding into "that abyss," just remember to listen to your body. And remember, it's OK to take some time off. It's OK to let yourself rest and it's OK to admit it. The most important thing though, I can not stress enough, is to remember this is a temporary break! It's not for good. Sure you can take a break but you have to know it's just that - a break. Make sure you eat right, stay hydrated and get plenty of sleep at night. Staying active through your daily routine is important too. Take a walk or perhaps a yoga class. Stretch while watching your favorite tv shows but don't just sit around like a bump on a log or that bump may find it's way to a muffin top. It may take weeks, it may take months, but you will find that drive again! When your body is ready, you will know when it's go time!
 

Happy Training,
Nicole
   

No comments:

Post a Comment